Scotland, with its rich history and breathtaking landscapes, offers visitors the opportunity to embark on a remarkable journey through time. The North Coast 500, a popular tourist route that winds around the Scottish Highlands, presents an incredible chance to explore the country's fascinating castles. From ancient ruins to stately homes and haunted rooms, Scotland is renowned for its remarkable castles, each with its own unique history and legends.
Castle Tours on the North Coast 500
Embarking on a castle tour along the North Coast 500 is like stepping into a world of enchantment. Wander through the ruins of ancient castles, where echoes of the past still linger, and immerse yourself in the stories that have shaped Scotland's history. The castles along this route offer a captivating glimpse into the country's heritage, with each castle boasting its own historic legends and myths.
While not all the castles listed here are directly on the main route, they are well worth a visit. Just a short detour from the NC500 road trip, you can explore iconic castles such as Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle, which hold significant historical and cultural importance.
- Eilean Donan, Inverness-shire: Located on a small tidal island, Eilean Donan Castle is one of Scotland's most iconic landmarks. Its stunning setting and well-preserved structure make it a must-visit for castle enthusiasts.
- Edinburgh Castle, City of Edinburgh: Perched atop Castle Rock, Edinburgh Castle dominates the city's skyline. Discover the crown jewels, explore the ancient Great Hall, and soak in the panoramic views of the Scottish capital.
- Culzean Castle, Ayrshire: Set amidst picturesque gardens and overlooking the Firth of Clyde, Culzean Castle is a masterpiece of architecture. Take a stroll through the stunning grounds and explore the opulent interiors.
- Ballindalloch Castle, Banffshire: Nestled in the heart of Speyside, Ballindalloch Castle is a fairytale-like fortress with a rich history. Explore its grand rooms, visit the beautiful gardens, and discover the castle's connections to the world of whisky.
- Castle Fraser, Aberdeenshire: Castle Fraser, with its distinctive turrets and towers, offers a glimpse into the life of Scottish nobility. Roam through the castle's rooms, admire the stunning artwork, and enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
- Stirling Castle, Stirlingshire: Situated on a volcanic rock, Stirling Castle played a pivotal role in Scotland's history. Step back in time as you explore the grand halls, learn about the battles that took place here, and enjoy the breathtaking views.
- Urquhart Castle, Inverness-shire: Overlooking the legendary Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle is steeped in history and mystery. Explore the ruins, learn about the castle's turbulent past, and keep an eye out for the elusive Loch Ness Monster.
- Glamis Castle, Angus: Known as the childhood home of the late Queen Mother, Glamis Castle is a magnificent example of Scottish architecture. Discover its royal connections, explore the lavish interiors, and stroll through the beautiful gardens.
Immerse yourself in the captivating world of Scottish castles and create unforgettable memories along the North Coast 500. Whether you're a history enthusiast, a lover of legends, or simply seeking breathtaking scenery, this road trip will leave you in awe of Scotland's majestic castles.
North Coast 500 Castles Map
If you like exploring Castles and ruins of historic buildings we have compiled a list of some of the places we think you should visit while driving around the North Coast 500